Direct naar paginainhoud


Is your Dutch not that good yet? And don't you know enough about the Netherlands just yet? Then you may need to integrate. 

You’ll receive a letter from the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO) (Education Executive Agency) if you need to integrate. The letter will also confirm your integration deadline. You’re not obliged to complete an integration course, but you are obliged to pass the integration exam.

You’ll receive written notification about the exam result within four weeks of completing the exam. DUO will inform the municipality whether you have passed the exam.

Have you failed the integration exam and are you subject to an integration requirement? Then you have to re-register yourself with DUO. All information can be found on the website.


You will need to integrate in the following situations: 

  • You come from a country outside the European Union;
  • You are between 18 and 65 years old;
  • You don’t have a Dutch passport. 

You won’t have to integrate in the following situations: 

  • You have lived in the Netherlands for eight years or more and were of school age;
  • You have Dutch diplomas or certificates;
  • You will be staying in the Netherlands on a temporary basis for work or study purposes. 

Are you not subject to an integration requirement, but you do want to learn the Dutch language and learn about the Netherlands? Then you can integrate too.

More information

You can obtain more information about integration at the Sociale Zaken (Social Affairs) counter in the town hall.

Illustratie Almere skyline