Choice of name conditions
- attend the appointment together with your partner to record your choice of name;
- you can decide on the choice of name right up to the birth registration. Choosing a name will not be possible after this;
- the surname you choose for your first child will then automatically apply to all subsequent children from the same relationship;
- you can choose your child’s surname yourself: your own or your partner's. If you don’t make a choice, your child will automatically be given the surname which the law associates with your child;
- it’s not possible to give your child a combination of your surnames if your child has the Dutch nationality at birth;
- if your child has a nationality other than the Dutch nationality, that country’s naming rights will determine which surname will be given to your child. Please visit the National Government’s website for more information.