Municipal service

The municipality of Almere is committed to providing the best possible service to its residents. We want to make sure that you can find the information you need, that you can order an increasing number of municipal products and services online and that you can contact us easily and conveniently.

Do you have a question you want to ask the municipality of Almere? You’ll find a lot of information on this website. Do you want to order a municipal product or make an appointment? You can do so quickly and efficiently though our digital service desk ‘Digitaal Loket’ (Dutch only). Do you prefer contacting us personally? You can call 14 036 (Monday-Thursday between 8.30 and 17.00 h and Friday between 8.30 and 13.00 h), send a letter or visit us at one of our service desks.

The municipality is glad to be of service!

Citizen service number (BSN)

Everyone in the Netherlands has a registration number: the citizen service number (Burgerservicenummer or BSN). The BSN is a unique personal number issued to everyone registered in the municipality's Personal Records Database (BRP). The BSN is formerly known as the Social-Fiscal (SOFI) number.

The BSN is a unique personal social security number and appears in Dutch passports, on identity cards and driving licenses. Government authorities use the BSN to correspond with citizens and exchange personal information with other (government) agencies, when legally permitted. For example, between the municipality and the Dutch Tax and Costoms Administration (Belastingdienst). The BSN is an important tool for improving government services.

The BSN is required for starting a job in the Netherlands, opening a bank account, using the health care system, applying for benefits, buying a car and announcing a change of address, to name a few examples.

How do I get a BSN?

A new born child automatically receives a BSN when the birth is registered in the municipal Personal Records Database. If you are moving to the Netherlands from abroad, you will automatically obtain a BSN when you register with the municipal authorities in the city that you are going to live in.